Monday, March 5, 2012

YOUNG & SUCCESSFUL: DJ De'Lysiosa




            In an industry that is dominated by men, a young woman by the name of DJ DeLysiosa has proven that she can stand along with the elites in the DJ industry. Having a passion for music, DJing became something natural for DJ DeLysiosa at a young age. “I started DJing my church events, at block parties they would have and also at the teen and young adult events.” After being able to DJ at church events, DJ DeLysiosa started making mix tapes and CDs for her parents, their friends, as well as her friends just to display her skills.

Word began to spread around and DJ DeLysiosa had the opportunity to host her own radio show at Rutgers University, Rutgers college radio WRSU. “Being a female DJ and having my own show, I used this opportunity to show that not only men can do this but women can do this as well.” Not only did DJ DeLysiosa focus on being a DJ at Rutgers University, she also maintained a high GPA. She has proven she can be a full-time DJ and a educated college student simultaneously. As an inspiring (celebrity)  DJ, DeLysiosa was given the opportunity to intern with one the biggest radio stations on the East coast. “Being able to intern at both KISS FM & HOT 97 was such a blessing. It was one of the best experiences I’ve had in my lifetime.” Not many people get the opportunity to learn with the best in the industry but DJ DeLysiosa took this opportunity as a blessing and motivation to continue her rise to the top!

Aside from being a DJ, DeLysiosa is a senior at Rutgers University, and a mentor. Starting her own mentor group was important to DeLysiosa, she wants to have a positive influence and help others. On a typical day you can catch DJ DeLysioa writing music or brainstorming ideas for future events and opportunities. DJ DeLysioa is now currently a FLEET DJ and has her own radio show airing Tuesdays on 88.7FM/WRSU.ORG. With an ambitious work ethic DJ DeLysiosa definitely will be one of the best in the DJ industry soon! “I do not see DJ as a disc jockey but as distributing journeys.”

Who are your Top 5 DJs of all time?
My top five DJs of all time, this is a tough one, if I had to narrow it down, it would be DJ Cocoa Chanelle, Mister Cee, DJ Red Alert, DJ Kool Herc, Spinderella

You interned at HOT 97 & KISS FM, describe that experience and what will you take from such a great opportunity?
Being able to intern at both KISS FM and HOT 97 was such a blessing. It was one of the best experiences I’ve had in my life thus far. I was able to get an hands on experience and come into contact with celebrities across the board. I took from this experience, confidence, and I can use what I have learned to progress in the career world of what I want to do. The internship put in perspective what exactly I wanted to accomplish in my career and my personal life.

Being a female DJ, what advice can you give to other inspiring female DJs like you?
I’m not going to lie, being a female DJ can be difficult, but it is also very fun. The main advice I give is to never lose you. Once you give your dignity and morale away, you are no longer in touch with your soul and this is when you start going down hill. Don’t opt the easy way out, hard work pays off, trust me. Getting caught up in the “sex sells” gimmick will get you there but you won’t last. Make sure you maintain your faith as well. Without God, I wouldn’t be anyone.


Besides being a DJ what do you enjoy doing? What is a typical day like in the life of DJ DeLysiosa?
Besides being a DJ I enjoy writing. I often write music or brainstorm ideas for future events, or future opportunities to make my life more meaningful, I started my own mentoring group, because I feel that it is my duty as a human being to help others, I am looking to work with Alicia Keys AIDS awareness campaign and other avenues that contributes to helping my community and world.  But before I consider myself to be a radio personality and journalist, I am a daughter, sister, niece and friend. I still attend school, finishing up my last year at Rutgers and I choose to do whatever makes me happy. It is imperative that I smile each and everyday no matter what the obstacle.

If you had the chance to do anything in the world, what would it be?
If I had the chance to do anything in the world I would either be a big radio or TV personality, program director of a big radio station, or editor of a big music magazine. I want to also start a foundation to help young girls and boys find their dreams and help those that are in need. It is my duty to give back. I would also love to travel for the rest of my life.


Written by: Tayo O.



3 comments:

  1. U Are What Dreams Are Made Of...

    By @IDuanereade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of you!!! You are living a dream that's been inside of you since ...well forever!!! GOD is good!! I Love you!

    ReplyDelete