Monday, February 6, 2012

YOUNG & SUCCESSFUL: DANIELLE P. JETER



            If you were to look up the word ambition, Danielle Paige Jeter is an example of what ambition means. Most people know her better as just “Jeter!” A small town young lady born in Mt. Airy Philadelphia also known as “Uptown” and raised in Willingboro, NJ, has accomplished a lot for a female her age.  Graduating for Willingboro High School in 2006, Danielle Jeter decided to take her talents down to the prestigious HBCU, Spelman College. While attending Spelman College, Danielle Jeter was heavily involved on campus. A member of Morehouse College Mahogany N Motion dance team, Footwork Hip-Hop dance team, Morehouse and Spelman stage production, events, and student council; all while maintaining a high academic GPA.  Being involved in many on campus activities and also maintaining a high GPA is not the easiest thing to do as a college student.  
Entering into her junior year at Spelman, Danielle decided to get involved in the party promotion and events industry. She joined a group called “T12 Entertainment”, a well known party promotion team around the collegiate scene in Atlanta, GA. T-12 Entertainment produced the hugest most popular events that everyone wanted to attend. I saw this as opportunity to get into parties for free - Danielle Jeter. One of the biggest weeks in the academic year in the Atlanta University Center is Senior Week. As a promoter, this week gives you the opportunity to gross a lot of revenue if you done it right.  After a few years of being a member of T12 entertainment, Jeter decided to start her own event planning company called Affairs of Isis Events.

Besides being a dancer for Mahogany N Motion dance team, an event planner, or being part of just about every stage production possible, Jeter was heavily involved with community service. Danielle J. assisted in teaching dance at local schools, tutoring, and organized book drives. To her giving back to the community is extremely important. You have the ability to do anything you want but it is essential to always give back to the community. Danielle Jeter graduated from Spelman College May 2010 with a Bachelor’s of Arts in History and a minor in Drama and Dance. I had the opportunity to have a sit down interview with Ms. Danielle Paige Jeter.



 

What made you want to attend Spelman College?
“The movie Drum-Line inspired me and exposed me to historically black colleges and universities. Family also played a key in my decision. Most of my family went to a HBCU. - lol not true.  After watching Drum-line I wanted to get involved with the dance team since I am a dancer, which I had to attend a black school to do so. I told myself if I was going to attend a HBCU, I was going to attend the best HBCU I could as a young black female.  I decided to go on an HBCU bus-tour, which toured many HBCUS from Delaware down to Atlanta GA. When the tour finally visited Spelman College, I knew this would be the place I would dedicate the next 4 years of my life too. It’s funny that I got into Spelman College and not Howard University, because Spelman College is a harder HBCU to get into.”


Affairs of Isis Events, Elaborate on this company you decided to start on.
“So prior to attending Spelman College, I was already involved in event planning. Whatever I wanted to do, I would do, when it came to planning events.  I spoke to my aunt and she told me to go to school for event planning, my response to her was “I cannot go to school for event planning (lol)”. While attending Spelman, my junior year was when I really got involved with event planning.

“Two a half years later as a company, one thing I can say is that my vision is changing each and every day with what I want the company to be and where I want it to go.”

Being a teacher, what kind of effort would you put forth to help the younger generation?

“My whole life, as long as I’m living on this earth, I will always help the youth. My short-term goal is to be a teacher to better understand the issues, goals, fears, and everything that takes place in our classrooms and school districts. I plan to use my classroom experience as a way to effect change in the world during my next career. Grassroots experience in the classroom will prepare me for whatever I am going to do next “

Besides being a teacher, and an event planner, what do you do on a not so “busy day”?
“ I like to sleep, try new foods, try new restaurants, be with family and friends, history nerd stuff like plays and museums. I also like to have deep conversations that change your thoughts and views. I’m down to earth and am always ready to try new activities. I LOVE to travel. I hate just sitting around, that is sooooo BORING. Growing up my favorite phrase was “I’m bored, what now?”

Danielle Jeter is currently involved with Radio One and Comcast Network. Jeter produces the radio shows “Court Radio” and “Philly Speaks” on 100.3 WRNB FM.  Aside from Radio One, Jeter is also at Comcast Network and produces Comcast Newsmakers. “I plan on staying in broadcasting. I love every aspect of it. If you were to go to my room right now, my TV would be on CNN. I love knowing things, history, news, etc. Maybe one day in the future you will see on TV hosting my own show or radio show.”

 Its amazing how your skills, likes, and interest all tie together to form a unique career for yourself that your never dreamed of – Danielle Jeter.”

Follow on twitter: @Dpjeter



written by: Tayo Ola.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again Tayo for the continued support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing im so proud of the both of you!
    Marquita

    ReplyDelete